Re: Europa-List: europa handling with subaru

Subject: Re: Europa-List: europa handling with subaru
From: tom@tompaul.com <tom@tompaul.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:11:44

this is a very interesting thread.  the props, the engine, the
handling, the weights... it seems the europa has many personalities,
depending on the powertrain combination chosen.  I am at least a year
away from needing an engine, i think, so, with all my options open
still, it is with great interest that i research the various
possibilities.  The subaru seems attractive because of the power, as
does the cam 125 for the same reason.  But i hate the thought of
"spoiling" the fine Europa handling.  I don't really understand how
this happens with polar inertia, blah, blah, but i trust that there is
truth to it.  I guess it has to do with the hard-to-move effect of a
hanging a heavy weight at the end of the stick.

The Rospeller prop system seems wonderful but, with the dollar to euro
ratio currently, it is very expensive.  around US$8k it seems, for the
best package.

The BMW is too anemic, no?  80hp?  I know Kim Prout has a wonderfully
performing machine with a standard 912, so it CAN work, but people
don't seem to be getting the factory numbers even with a 914.  What
gives with this?  The factory claims a 170 knot cruise, but the figures
reported from flying aircraft tend to hover around 140kts.
I am leaning toward the 912S, i guess, since i live at sea level and
don't have a surplus of the green stuff, though i am very open to other
options.  I would love to stuff 150 hp in there somehow, but the weight
of most engines seem very problematic.  I spoke with a gentleman from
texas who is fitting an 0-200.  Has this been done before?  Is it a
good option?
So many choices.  Let's keep this thread going.

Best,
Tom Paul