Europa-List: europa handling with subaru

Subject: Europa-List: europa handling with subaru
From: GLENN CROWDER <gcrowder2@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:51:05

Hey Neville!
     Your comment that "the increased polar moment of inertia totally messes
up the
a very fine handling aeroplane" does not match my observations at all.  The
Subaru
powered Europa seems very light and lively to me.  My hangar mate with a
O-320
powered Mustang II has flown the Europa several times and has commented that
the
handling is quite a bit lighter than his plane, both in roll and pitch.  I
have flown his
plane also and while his aileron roll and pitch forces are higher, they are
not heavy
by any means.  My instructor/test pilot who has test piloted hundreds of
newly
finished experimentals commented on how light the handling was and thought
it was
the best handling experimental he had flown although certainly not the
fastest.
He flies a Thorp T-18.  I also had him do a complete stall series, flaps up
and down including some spin entries and noted no issues.  This was after
someone on the list reported that his Europa would start to roll under on a
flaps down approach stall.  I have done flaps down stalls myself
and only get a small wing break sometimes to the left, sometimes to the
right, release on
back stick instantly arrests the stall.
  The one thing I have noticed when flying with a passenger is the ease of
landing.  When
landing solo, after touching the tail first, I always seem to get one small
bounce on the main
before sticking down, with a passenger as soon as the main wheel touches it
sticks and
stays down.  Roll out seems more stable as well.  I've only flown on paved
runways so I can't
comment on grass field landing behaviour.
  One thing I really like about the Europa is that I can set the pitch trim
in one spot for
touch and goes and leave it alone for every part of the pattern.  On
downwind, just reduce
power and slowly drop the flaps, the plane automatically seems to slow down
to just the
right speed (about 65 mph) with no pitch up as flaps are lowered.  The last
time I
flew a Cessna, I remember constantly retrimming around the pattern,
particularly forcing
the nose down on flap application.  On the Europa, the only time I change
the trim is
when going to cruise speeds.  Cheers!

                                            Glenn Crowder

a trip to NY