Re: Europa-List: Feedback problem with the radio

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Feedback problem with the radio
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 12:02:47

Yo Paul,
        Actually it's Ferg, but the error is easily made, not that it
matters that much
        It is difficult to assess from here because different makers assign
different terms to various functions. I will await your scouring the manual
for any clues.
Basically, I think your problem is acoustic feedback, but RF feedback may
also be present. The latter is less likely with transistors than with tubes,
so I think your earphones may be leaking excess volume to the region of the
mike. VOX in a Stearman is a constant problem because of the large
background volume of the engine in an open cockpit.
        Also, there is always 'noise' in an electrical/electronic circuit
(called internal noise) due to ions and so forth jumping about but always
worse in tubes than transistors. The squelch is installed to make the mike
insensitive to this and that's the "threshold" for sensitivity. Noise below
that doesn't get through. The other datum sets the level at which your voice
triggers the audio. It gets sticky beyond that, but the Squelch knob on the
front usually sets the level at which external noise shuts off the mike -
but then perhaps I'm being too simple.
        Let's see what the manual says - probly makes an ass of my remarks.
Ferg