Re: Europa-List: Feedback problem with the radio

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Feedback problem with the radio
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:45:24

Paul,
            It can sometimes be transmitted through tight clamping of units
in the system, but this does not sound like that symptom. If your headset
earcups 'leak' then the acoustic feedback would be the cause. Tight earcups
tend to reduce that.
            Is your system operated as 'VOX' - voice-operated transmission?
That is, do you have the sound of your voice open the transmitter, or do you
press a transmitt button? If the former, the sound from nearby will trigger
the transmitter open as well as the intercom. VOX is operated by two datum
voltages - a large one which triggers the transmission and a smaller one
below which the transmitter shuts off. Both of these voltages is set by a
pair of potentiometers usually somewhere moderately available to the
avionics bod who installs/repairs same. The same may apply to the intercom
unit.
            We'll keep an eye open for your solution when it comes.
Cheers, Ferg