Re: NACA vent placement (was RE: Europa-List: Gel Coat)

Subject: Re: NACA vent placement (was RE: Europa-List: Gel Coat)
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:50:16

 Europa-List message posted by: "Rob Housman" <RobH@hyperion-ef.com>
| While I must agree with your comments, Ferg, there is a way to use the
NACA
| inlet to do the job, thanks to our old friend Bernoulli.  See
| http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/fluids/aspir.html for a brief
| description of an aspirator, a device for generating low pressure by using
| higher pressure flow.  Many of us are probably familiar (from chem lab)
with
| the scheme shown in the hyperlink where water is used to generate air flow
| into the tee, but the same principle works with compressed air in the
| straight leg of the tee to create a vacuum in the side arm of the tee.
| Clever guy, Bernoulli.
| Best regards,     Rob Housman
| Europa XS Tri-Gear A070

Rob et al,
        I'll buy that, so I went to the site and saw three choices:
Hyperphysics - to 'Condensed Matter'[the only applicable site]; then
Mechanics -  to Pressure to Kinetic Energy; then
                    to Potential Energy; then
                    to Bernoulli Equation -
much of which I remember (if not with fondness), but little of which
inspired understanding of how a NACA inlet is sited/configured to extract
cabin air at relative low speed. Perhaps there's a site therein which I
missed.......
        There's just the off-chance my comprehension is ready for a cleaning
and polishing, but can you point me to the principle or practicality of
using a NACA inlet design?
        Of course this is all E&OE,
Cheers, Ferg.