RE: NACA vent placement (was RE: Europa-List: Gel Coat)

Subject: RE: NACA vent placement (was RE: Europa-List: Gel Coat)
From: Rob Housman <RobH@hyperionef.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:32:25

While I must agree with your comments, Ferg, there is a way to use the NACA
inlet to do the job, thanks to our old friend Bernoulli.  See
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/fluids/aspir.html for a brief
description of an aspirator, a device for generating low pressure by using
higher pressure flow.  Many of us are probably familiar (from chem lab) with
the scheme shown in the hyperlink where water is used to generate air flow
into the tee, but the same principle works with compressed air in the
straight leg of the tee to create a vacuum in the side arm of the tee.
Clever guy, Bernoulli.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
Europa XS Tri-Gear A070