Re: Europa-List: to build or not to build

Subject: Re: Europa-List: to build or not to build
From: europa@pstewart.f2s.com
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 18:27:31

Tom

1 Ignore the factory estimates, the advert has said 500 for years - with the
time all the fast build options cut off it should be built before it is
started! I am not aware of anyone contributing to this forum who has built in
anything like this time (think 2000hrs +).  There is a huge amount of time
spent (certainly be me) thinking and learning before setting a finger on some
of the tasks - wiring / panel etc.The saying 90% finished with 90% still to go
is very true.

I have been building with one regular partner for about 5 years putting in two
regular 3 hr evenings per week and a fair number of whole days dotted around
the place. We are probably 2 years from flying (we may be a slow breed of
builder - I don't know). The saving grace for Richard and I is that neither of
us can fly and so much as we are looking forward to the end of the project we
are not desprate and consequently very much enjoy the building - it can be
great relaxation away from work. I can't comment on what it's like to long to
get the aircraft flying.

Do not underestimate the magnitude of the progect even in it's advanced stage.
guarantee there will be times when its greatly satisfying and others when it
seems like it will never end and you are tempted to jack it in - hence the
number of unfinished home builds.

One of the most ewnjoyable things for me has been the learning of completely new
skills and seeing how your confidence at taking on tasks grows. A great aspect
of the Europa kit is that there appears to be little you can get wrong that
someone else has not already done and that can't be fixed - composite building
is very forgiving. The support from Europa and this forum is fantastic.

Don't know if any of this rambling has shone any light on the matter or not.

Good luck

Paul
G-GIDY

Everyone should have http://www.freedom2surf.net/