Re: Europa-List: to build or not to build

Subject: Re: Europa-List: to build or not to build
From: Jeff Roberts <jeff@rmmm.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:12:54

on 4/29/04 8:01 AM, tom@tompaul.com at tom@tompaul.com wrote:

Tom,
Like you I am self-employed, work on the plane when I can, buy a part when I
can, but I use the building as my recreation. I would not take the project
on unless you are considering giving up the spar time you said you we're
worried about loosing. The money issue is also another one you should
consider. A finished Europa will take at least $60,000 on the low end and I
know of some that have invested $80,000 plus. Will you have this money in
the next 4 years to complete the build? By the way from start to finish a
realistic number to finish the kit from scratch is like 2000 hours plus. So
use that number on your 60% done formula. Of course everything is dependent
on how perfect you want your plane and how many toys you'll want in it.
On the other hand I don't believe you could find a better plane as for the
performance for the dollar of operation. If you like to make things you'll
enjoy the build. But if you're going into it to get to the end, as so many
others have, you may never finish it.
 One other area worth mentioning that may draw some controversy. Consider
the tri-gear, as there have been a bunch of completed mono wheels that have
been converted. You can get use to anything but are you willing to gamble on
damaging 4 years of work learning to handle it. Or consider the conventional
gear package that flight crafters have. Sounds like you've been flying
rental tri-gears so I thought I should mention it. I have been building for
2 years including my jump starting it at Flight Crafters. (Thanks Guys) I
love most of the process and still I get discouraged. It's human nature.
Thats when you walk away and realize there is no hurry. In a few days I
eagerly jump back into it.
Good Luck with your decision and I hope this helps.
Jeff
A258 Tri-Gear
Airframe built, engine installed, working on the perfect cowling & spinner
fit. Still getting ready to order electronics. So many choices

[...]
damaging 4 years of work. Or consider the conventional gear package that
flight crafters have. Sounds like you've been flying rental tri-gears so I
thought I should mention it. I have been building for 2 years including my
jump starting it at Flight Crafters. I love most of the process and still I