Re: Europa-List: Flap Jig Alignment

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Flap Jig Alignment
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@growzone.com.au>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:32:50

"David Simenauer" wrote

 I have just started on the flaps.  On both sides, when the flap cores are
set upside down in the jigs, the jig for the outboard piece is slightly
thicker, maybe by 2 or 3 mm,  than the jig for the outboard piece.

David,

The heights of the two jigs should be exactly the same when butted together.

One of the handiest things I have found during my build is MDF (Medium
Density Fibreboard).  It comes in varying thicknesses one of which is 3mm.
It is exactly true to size.

If the difference in height of your two jigs is 3mm, I would suggest you put
a piece of 3mm MDF (at least as big as the jig) under the lower jig to
elevate it and as Stephan suggested, ensure the profiles are straight using
a long straight edge.  If the 3mm MDF is too thick, try purchasing a sheet
or two of cardboard or use newsprint paper or the like to obtain the correct
thickness.  If I remember correctly, I think I also laid a piece of plastic
film in the area of the flap join in order to prevent the flap being glued
to the jig if any micro happened to seep out.

I have also found MDF to be invaluable for making templates, jigs, feeler
gauges etc.

Regards
Kingsley Hurst
Mono Classic 281 in Oz