Re: Europa-List: Flap Jig Alignment

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Flap Jig Alignment
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:37:29

>when the flap cores are set upside down in the jigs, the jig for the
>outboard piece is slightly thicke

David - this is, I believe, a common problem. The blocks of foam that
the control surfaces are cut from are not themselves very
dimensionally accurate. I had to shim mine in various places to get
both LE & TE straight, and to achieve the specified washout. Remember
that the object of the exercise is to make a nice straight-looking
control surface, and don't worry if you have to adjust the
underpinnings to get that end result. You'll be throwing away the jig
blocks - the aeroplane parts are what you keep!

Incidentally the method in my manual for setting washout using shims
was based on incorrect trigonometry - I told the factory but I don't
think they've changed it yet. A digital level is very handy for
getting the washout correct, although you _can_ do it without one.

[blatant advert]
 From the number you quote in your signature, I assume you bought your
already-started kit from Jim Graham, who has been a Europa Cub
member. I hope that he passed on to you the Europa Club information,
and that you might consider joining the Club yourself. If so, please
contact me direct for more info.

regards

Rowland