Re: Europa-List: 914 Staring tips

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 Staring tips
From: Garry Stout <garrys@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 08:07:17

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul McAllister" <paul.mcallister@qia.net>

> I am sure that this has been covered before.  I find mine difficult to
start when cold.  Warm starts are instant.  Is there an optimal choke /
throttle setting ?

Paul, I'm sure each case may be different as regards cold starting problems
on the 914.  I replaced my battery, changed out the spark plugs, tried every
combination of choke and throttle, and even sprayed some "starting fluid"
into the intake tract.........all to no avail.  The engine would turn over
just fine, but would show no signs of ignition.  Ultimately it turned out to
be "crud" in the carburetors.  I had been burning mogas for 300 hours or so.
Upon rebuilding the carbs, the engine now starts instantly, regardless of
temperature.

Garry Stout
N4220S  914 trigear