Re: Europa-List: 914 Staring tips

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 Staring tips
From: Garry Stout <garrys@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 14:50:29

All,

I misspoke on my last posting.  I meant to say I had used avgas (100 LL)
fuel since the beginning.....and had 300 hours on the engine when the crud
in the carburetors began.  I've since switched to mogas.  I don't know
whether one type of fuel or the other contributes more or less to crudding.
The factory authorized Rotax repair shop here in Florida told me that carb
crud is a fairly common problem.  Fortunately, it won't cause any engine
stoppages in flight, but simply causes hard starting problems.  I guess my
suggestion is, if you begin to have starting problems, and have tried all
the usual "easy" fixes, then think about rebuilding the carbs.

Garry Stout