RE: Europa-List: Mod 62 Pins Not Fitting

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Mod 62 Pins Not Fitting
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@growzone.com.au>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 17:29:42

> I'm in the process of doing Mod 62, that is, drilling out the holes on
the torque tube to accommodate the 3/8" pins in replacement of the 1/4"
ones.

Dan,

I don't know how you approached this job but I assume you had all the
parts assembled with the original pins before enlarging the holes.  This
is important in order to keep all the parts in correct alignment and to
ensure the enlarged holes remain concentric.

If this was done, I would suggest you now find someone with a micrometer
to actually measure the diameter of the pins.  The reamer should have
made a true to size hole so I would make sure the pins are true to size
also.  If the pins are more than .0005" oversize, I think they more than
likely would be too tight.

When we did mine, we enlarged the holes first and then turned down new
pins to be a firm fit.

Mate, I think most of us are first time builders and as such have all
learned heaps.  Don't feel alone in that department.

Regards
Kingsley Hurst
Europa Mono Classic 281
in Oz