Europa-List: Mod 62 Pins Not Fitting

Subject: Europa-List: Mod 62 Pins Not Fitting
From: Dan Bish <danbish@norwalktucson.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 21:30:41

Hi all,

I'm in the process of doing Mod 62, that is, drilling out the holes on the
torque
tube to accommodate the 3/8" pins in replacement of the 1/4" ones. The good
news is that I'm doing it in advance of installing it into the plane and
fortunately
don't have the top on yet.

I'm following the instructions that came with the mod that say to use a 23/64"
bit to drill out the holes. It then recommends a 3/8" reamer. I used both and
the pins still don't come close to fitting into the holes. I tried a reamer then
used a 3/8" bit on my drill press and have all the holes on the tube and TP5,
9, & 10 enlarged but the pins still look like they'll go in only with some
force. I'd like to trial fit the pins into the tube prior to mounting it into
the back of the plane but I'm wondering just how much I should go banging those
pins into the holes only to find that I can't get them back out again.

Anyone else done this mod? Words of wisdom?

BTW, I had a look at the photos area of Steve's site today and found some
helpful
stuff there. I'll be putting up some photos soon and encourage all to do the
same. I've already found several photos there that helped to answer some of
my questions. I've never built anything close to this before and have extremely
limited knowledge so your photos really help.

Thanks for all the help.

Dan
A144
N914RB
Tucson, AZ
Bought someone else's dream 30% done.
Wings done, CM in, working on TP mass balance among other things.
No idea what I'm doing but doing it anyway.
Thinking about authoring "Europas for Dummies"