Re: Europa-List: Transponder antenna

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Transponder antenna
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:50:35

A 1/2-wave dipole will have to mounted inside the aircraft, which as you point
out, will be blocked in the forward direction.  What this actually causes will
depend upon the performance of the xponder.  Microair and the King KT-78 are
a bit weak in xmit; the Microair is relatively weak in receive according to
their
specs.  I see now why they fuss over length of the coax, which is a factor
in mounting the antenna way in the back -- at 1gHz, coax losses can be very
significant.

The general rule is you get what you get.  For VFR, practical fringe distance
from
ATC's interrogating antennas lets you whack out about 75% in performance from
your installation and be still able to report all seems OK.  For IFR, especially
at minimum enroute altitudes, it can be a different matter entirely, the
way their grid of interrogators are set up.

Regards,
Fred F.