Europa-List: Transponder antenna

Subject: Europa-List: Transponder antenna
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:17:13

>Transponder antenna
>Can anyone enlighten me on positioning our transponder stubb antenna?
>We have a microair T2000 transponder. They have suggested to us we
>should limit the co-ax cable to 6 feet due signal loss. This would
>preclude it going behind the baggage bay. I seem to have got it into my
>head from somewhere that transponder antennae should be kept a
>reasonable distance from occupants or is this just b******s?
>Paul Stewart #432 now G-GIDY (makes flying seem closer anyway)

Paul
IMHO you will get better performance from a Bob Archer dipole antenna. We
mounted ours somewhere back of the baggage bay to one side.
It needs to be able to shine forward past the engine and back past the
tailplane steam tube etc.
Fred F might have better ideas? He knows more than I do about these things,
I guess Bob knows even more, bobsantennas@earthlink.net

Graham