Re: Europa-List: Transponder antenna

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Transponder antenna
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:31:08

Paul Stewart wrote:

> We have a microair T2000 transponder. They have suggested to us we
> should limit the co-ax cable to 6 feet due signal loss. This would
> preclude it going behind the baggage bay. I seem to have got it into my
> head from somewhere that transponder antennae should be kept a
> reasonable distance from occupants or is this just b******s?
>
> Regards

If using RG-400 coax or equivalent as one should, 9 ft. will be about 8% lossier
than 6 feet.  The danger of human exposure to transponder replies is an old
wives tale.  If a 250W xpondr is replying at the extraordinary rate of 1 per
second,
a distance of 1 inch from the antenna is safe according to our FCC's RF
safety guidelines (and online calculator).

Regards,
Fred F.