Re: Europa-List: transponders

Subject: Re: Europa-List: transponders
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 03:50:30

> I do feel txponders are highly desirable but dislike the imposition
> of control from the beaurocrats, especially the ones in Brussels.
> Graham

I'm curious also about negative reaction elsewhere, or lack thereof, as to the
privacy implications.  With Mode-S, flying VFR and even not in communication
with
ATC, gubment (including now the military, post 9/11) can track everywhere
and whenever the aircraft flies and store it in a database, and if you own the
aircraft, they can presume that's you and easily verify otherwise.  Vast
majority
of citizens here would find that beyond totally intolerable.  Even if not
aware of my situation, where there's a nuclear power plant near my airport, and
anything other than a straight line past it might put me on a terrorist watch
list....

Regards,
Fred F.