Re: Europa-List: cotter pins

Subject: Re: Europa-List: cotter pins
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:45:43

> My tech counselor looked at my progress today and as usual
> commented on what a fine kit the Europa is.
> However, he does have an issue with not using castle nuts and
> cotter pins on bolts that are holding rotating parts together.
> The aircraft maintenance manual does say that cotter keys
> should be used on all rotating parts.  This includes all the
> controls in the cockpit module, the wings, flap pivot points
> and others I haven't found yet....

> John Eckel, A230

Neither in the control system where we secure a rod-end bearing nor the flap
hinges,
if remain forever uncorroded, appear subject to bolt v. nut rotation.  However,
on the flap hinges, I used castles and cotters, for the simple reason
for your average FAA inspector that's what he's used to seeing on production
aircraft
and for ease of visual inspection.  Inside the fuselage, going that way
will be an unnecessary maintenance headache.  The downside on the flaps, though,
is fiddling with bolt lengths and thin washers so the hole lines up when
reasonably snug.  Another option in retaining the self-locker is just add a
simple
jam nut.

Regards,
Fred F.