RE: Europa-List: cotter pins

Subject: RE: Europa-List: cotter pins
From: Peter Zutrauen <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:21:09

As an aside regarding safety wires etc. I remember from my preflights
that the certified Katana also uses stiffnuts on some of the rotating
parts, specifically the aileron bellcrank in the wing which is inspected
through a clear plexi cover under the wing. In that case I noticed that
they used a dab of bright goo (lockite maybe?) on the exposed threads &
nut to be able to visually identify if the stiffnut had backed off.

If a certified ship like the Katana uses the same stiff nut technology,
I wonder how the latest 'Aircraft Maintenance Manual' can not list this
method as acceptable. (what document is this manual? AC 4313?)

Cheers,
Pete
A239