Re: Europa-List: cotter pins

Subject: Re: Europa-List: cotter pins
From: Jim Butcher <europa@triton.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:02:29

John & Amy,

I think in most cases there is a metal bushing whose length is slightly
longer than the stackup of the components that rotate (nylon washers, etc)
so the bolt and nut lock against the bushing.

Hope this helps.

Jim & Heather Butcher A185
sanding & filling prime tomorrow

You wrote

> Hello,
> My tech counselor looked at my progress today and as usual
> commented on what a fine kit the Europa is.
> However, he does have an issue with not using castle nuts and cotter pins
> on bolts that are holding rotating parts together.  The aircraft
maintenance
> manual does say that cotter keys should be used on all rotating parts.
This includes
> all the controls in the cockpit module, the wings, flap pivot points and
others
> haven't found yet.   So, I am in the process of getting new bolts, nuts
and cotter
> pins.
> Has anyone else run into this problem?
> The Europa is not the only kit with this problem, he was the TC on a
Kitfox