RE: Europa-List: Longer Legs

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Longer Legs
From: David DeFord <davedeford@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 00:36:57

> <hagargs@earthlink.net>
>
> I put the bird on all four wheels recently after plugging in
> the wings and putting the outriggers in.  Needless to say it
> is a stretch for the outriggers to reach the ground at the
> length supplied in the kit.  Looking in the McMaster catalog
> it appears as the white nylon 6/6 is what is used on the
> Europa. The other nylons have a statement about "using
> indoors?". I am shooting for about a half an inch clearance
> between the wheels and the ground. How much settleing is
> induced with a full load?

I wouldn't be too quick to lengthen the outrigger legs.  Ours started out
with at least half an inch of clearance on each wheel, but now both wheels
touch the ground, even with no load.  The airplane has gained some weight
since the outrigger installation (paint, interior, etc.), and I suspect that
the bungees have stretched a bit as well.  As your first flight approaches,
see how it feels while taxiing, with a typical load of fuel and gear.  You
may not need to make any changes by then.

Dave DeFord
N135TD (flying)