Re: Europa-List: Layup on Balsa TE of Trim Tabs

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Layup on Balsa TE of Trim Tabs
From: nigel charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 13:26:19

>I am wondering if there is any specific advice to laying up cloth onto the
trim tabs trailing edges to toughen them up. The balsa is too soft and I
intend on either using a single ply of BID, or 2 plies over the balsa with
the ply stepping down as it progresses forward, or a single ply of carbon.
I have the carbon left over from another project, however I think for this
toughening up application the BID might be better, as it is more impact
resisitant. With the Balsa, I have heard of priming it with a thinned down
resin mix, but I haven't done this before. I understand the concept is that
a thinner mix will be absorbed by the Balsa, and act as a better key for
the cloth over the top. So, if there are any words of wisdom on this I'd
like to hear. Thanks in anticipation.<

I also bought a small quantity of thinner finer weave 'bid'. This has the
advantage of coping with the smaller radius at the aft edge of the balsa
flettner strip.

Nigel Charles