Europa-List: filler

Subject: Europa-List: filler
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 22:21:02

>Contrary to popular opinion I had trouble with the Polyfiber fairing
>stuff.  It was probably my fault for not heating the mix but I found it
>hard to mix and it did not mix well so when I applied it there were
>globs that did not cure and I had to dig them out.  I have used supplied
>epoxy/microballoon since and am happy with it.  It takes a bit of
>practice to mix just right so it sticks and doesn't slump but it is not
>hard to do and I found it sands just fine.  One does have to wait two to
>three days to sand but then it goes well.  (And much less expensive...)

I had trouble with some Superfill but it was very old and near the bottom
of the tin, probably resin/filler ratio was inaccurate due to settlement.
It is easier to use though.
I now use a very sharp wood plane to trim back the filler. Works
beautifully and takes very thin shavings off just like wood but in any
direction. I can start cutting back after an overnight cure too. Got that
tip from here, doesn't one of Bob's boys do it that way?
Graham

---