Re: Europa-List: Europa Tri-Gear 3300 Jabiru Powered

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa Tri-Gear 3300 Jabiru Powered
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:50:52

>Hi Rowland,Thanks for your e-mail,You are correct,the Europa #a026 was
>Norman Marsh,s.Sadly Norman had an accident in the rockies about one and
>half years, ago in his glider, and I purchased A026 from his estate, this
>spring.

Frank - I assume you didn't fetch it from New Zealand! I think you
have got the one of Norman's Europas that was officially recorded as
kit 219, not A026.

The FAA recorded the registration of a "Setzer Europa" in 1997 03 as
N13NM but the choice of registration mark was clearly for Norman
Marsh. On 1998 04 29 I spoke with Norman and he reported that kit 219
had flown as N13NM "about a month ago"; it looks like kit numbers got
crossed somewhere between the owner and the guy who filed the
paperwork with the FAA. As far as I know, Robert Setzer worked on
both of the aeroplanes for Norman so if he had both in the shop
together, maybe he picked up the wrong papers the day he went to the
FAA office! The aircraft which the FAA knows as constructor's number
A026 definitely went to NZ, and the FAA cancelled its registration in
2000 03. The New Zealand register also shows ZK-NWM as c/n A026, so
irrespective of what was written on the big box from Europa, I think
we have to accept that. Clearly kit number 219 was issued well before
the Florida Europa office was issuing kit numbers with an "A" prefix
to North American customers, so I agree it would have made sense for
that kit to have flown first, and no doubt Norman expected the first
one flying to be 219.

ZK-NWM was bought by Peter Lyons in 2002 09, shortly after Norman's
death, and as far as I know he is still the owner in New Zealand. (I
just spotted that I haven't got that info correct on the website -
I'll fix it at the next upload.)

I find no record of kit 219 having been registered with the FAA or
anyone else, so presumably it has not flown yet, and that would line
up with your remark:

>I may even have to
>trailer the aircraft down to Lakeland in Florida ,when I get it completed

I certainly think that Bob Setzer would be the person to contact
about any missing paperwork, and perhaps he could also remember more
about the whole 219/A026 confusion! I don't have contact info for
him, but no doubt some of the folk in Florida can put you in touch.

Hope the rest of the world is not getting too bored with this - but
if Peter Lyons or Bob Setzer are listening, maybe they can toss in
their thoughts?

regards

Rowland