Re: Europa-List: First Hello to you all...

Subject: Re: Europa-List: First Hello to you all...
From: Paul Boulet <possibletodo@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 13:32:02

congratulations on the buy Tom; The fella you bought it from put a lot of heart
and soul into the build and I'm sure you've got a fine machine.  Ever since I
bought my kit 3 years ago I've struggled with trying to find the ideal trailer
solution and don't have an answer.  The best I found was a glider trailer mfg
that wanted to joint venture making and promoting an enclosed clam shell type
trailer like you see gliders in while being towed.  He wanted $30,000 and I
believe it could of been a go but with him in GA and me in So CA I didn't want
to try.  Just passing this on FWIW.  I'm so close to being ready to fly it's
killing me.... hope to report a successful first flight within thirty days
Paul Boulet, N914PB, Malibu, CA

Tom Paul <tom@tompaul.com> wrote:

Hi Fellow Europa Folks!
I Just purchased a monowheel xs kit in a half-completed state. I am in the
New York City area. I will be fetching the kit by the end of the year and
will spend some time until then creating a workshop in the garage. I will
do a search of the archive for workshop tips, but I would appreciate
anyone's advice as to what are the key ingredients to consider.

I am also considering how to get this kit from southern california to NY in
the most economical way. I am looking into purchasing an enclosed cargo
trailer with 20x6x6 dimensions that can both get my kit home, and then be
modified to cradle the completed aircraft for both storage and transport to
and from the airport. The factory transporter makes me a little
uncomfortable because I worry about getting rear-ended by a celphone-talker
and losing the prop or worse. One difficulty I have run into so far is that
a 20' trailer will have 2 axles, be quite bulky, and the manufacturer states
that it weighs more than a tom empty. This would put in the market for a
stronger tow vehicle than my Subaru Legacy. I don't think such a robust
trailer is needed.

I did a search for "trailer" on the archive and found a few things, but not
too much. Any info about other's thoughts on this topic would be
appreciated.

I am very excited to be a Europa builder now, and I am happy that this forum
is here to participate in.

Thanks all,

Tom Paul