RE: Europa-List: Re: Peel Ply on Root Rib

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Peel Ply on Root Rib
From: Rob Housman <RobH@hyperionef.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:32:35

While I wholeheartedly agree that we must read the manual, and we are
responsible for our own mistakes, but what has most concerned this builder
is the factory's cavalier response to a serious problem, and it is a problem
I brought to their attention about four years ago that does not even cost
anything to fix.

Having one of the first sets of XS wings, and there being no other part of
the kit with peel ply remaining, nor any mention of peel ply at the root rib
in the version of the manual that was current at the time I was doing this
work, I came very close to glassing over the invisible peel ply.
Apparently, many hundreds of kits later, builders are still coming too close
to putting glass over peel ply.  What saved my bacon was my observation of a
very small "imperfection" in what I though was the factory glass layup.
That "imperfection" turned out to be peel ply that lifted slightly during
scuff sanding.  Had my scuff sanding been less aggressive, had there been no
small "imperfection" and even had there been a notation in the manual that
there was supposed to be peel ply, I doubt that I would have ever seen the
invisible peel ply - the white peel ply looks exactly like cured
epoxy-fiberglass after the peel ply is peeled - same texture, same color.
This stuff passes the "duck test."  (For those of you not familiar with what
may be an expression used only among native English speakers in the US, the
duck test goes like this: if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and
quacks like a duck . . . it's a duck!)

I doubt that many of us would deliberately destroy a factory layup that
looks exactly like we expect a good layup to look like.  Therein lies the
problem.  White peel ply with no color stripes or loose edges still looks
like a good layup no matter what the manual says, so why start picking at
the edges to see what happens?  Another factor is that there are several
errors scattered throughout the manual (fortunately nothing serious) making
it easy to doubt the existence of peel ply where the manual says it should
be, but our eyes suggest otherwise.

Note to Ron Parigoris, there's nothing to feel foolish about.  There were194
kits delivered in North America alone between mine and yours, and the
problem persists.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
Europa XS Tri-Gear A070