Europa-List: mono vs. trigear

Subject: Europa-List: mono vs. trigear
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:27:08

>From: "STOUT, GARRY V, CSFF2" <garrys@att.com>
>Well said Bob.  I've inquired of the factory as to possible "fixes" to
>the alignment problem, but they haven't come up with anything yet.
>Clearly the gear legs must be set with the A/C at average take off
>weight.  Mine like yours, eats up tires, averaging about 60 hours per
>set.  The only solution I can see is to buy a new set of gear legs,
>which I am loath to do.
>Garry V. Stout

I haven't read the tri gear manual so this is ALL guesswork but my
suggestion is to determine first, from those already completed and flying,
how much does the gear leg rotate from relaxed to fully loaded. The factory
should know this already, Neville would be the man to ask.
Next decide on the correct loaded toe in, I would guess 1/2 degree, but I
would lean towards zero because any deflection in or out will cause rolling
drag, tire wear etc. Ever noticed how some airplanes are harder to push
around than others? Especially noticeable on smooth polished floors. Again
take the best advice, Andy I suppose, he knows about EZs too so he's coming
---From a good place!
Some of the EZ boys suggest an interesting test is to lift a wheel so it
relaxes then lower it gently and measure distance between the wheels, push
the airplane forward a few meters, measure again. It can be surpising how
much it changes. This is easier than measuring toe in. The only  accurate
datum is the rim of the wheel, tires vary too much.
I would make a simple jig and fix a small laser to it, the kind the clips
onto your spirit level? then rig up a sight board 20 feet in front of the
airplane and calculate toe in from the distance between the spots and the
wheels.
Hope this helps
Graham

---