Re: Europa-List: mono vs. trigear

Subject: Re: Europa-List: mono vs. trigear
From: KARL HEINDL <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 19:56:30

Hi Morten,

You should never make an important decision based on looks. If I wanted to
be really critical then
I would say that the Europa from underneath looks like a flying bathtub and
the monowheel
looks like a grasshopper.

But that isn't the reason for choosing the trigear. You weigh up all the
pros and cons first. The
only big advantage (apart from slightly cheaper) is its ability to land on
rough terrain, i.e. a cornfield
or on water. I have no intention of landing on either.

Monowheel disadvantages:

Very mechanical and more difficult to install and maintain.
Dirt collects in the wheelwell and has to be cleaned out.
Requires special training for handling takeoff/landing.
Large turn radius when taxiing.
Check with your insurance company if they have any statistics regarding
'incidents' with
                                                                  the
monowheel.

Monowheel advantages:

Better able to land on rough strips and much better in emergencies.
Much simpler trailer.
Cheaper

Trigear disadvantages:

More expensive.
Apparently slight loss in performance, but opinions here differ.
Loss of baggage space, but you gain the space of the tunnel, which I
utilized for baggage
and air-to-ground photography with the addition of a floor window.
Is heavier.
Trailer design more involved.

Trigear advantages:

Easy to install. Can be done at an early stage and it can then be used as
the main support and for
moving the fuselage around the workshop.
Maintenance virtually nil.
Landings/takeoffs are a doddle. I think that even rough fields are not a
problem if you treat them
like soft fields, i.e. land slow with the nose a little higher than normal.
Tighter turn radius on the ground.

Those are the main points. There are many others. Two more points to
consider:
1) A number of mono builders have converted or are converting to trigear, I
have not heard of
    one case going the other way.
2) If I were in your position I would take a close look at Bob Berube's
solution for a taildragger.
    I my opinion that is the way to go, because it combines the best of both
worlds, is easy to
    install, takes away no baggage space, and it looks good.

Hope that helps,    Karl