Re: Europa-List: mono vs. trigear

Subject: Re: Europa-List: mono vs. trigear
From: DuaneFamly@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:01:50

This is a question that many of the newer Europa builders have had to deal
with since the Trigear came along a little while after the Europa was on the
homebuilder market. I have had that same question nag at me all through my build

until I reached this point. I will order the main and nose gear from Europa
soon.
My points that I had to deal with were these:
1) The mono was designed with the European community in mind. The expense of
landing at a "real" airport meant that many people and clubs got together with

local farmers to use their fields at certain times. What is your situation on
airports? When was the last time you landed at anything other than an
airport? Remember, even airports with grass landing strips are usually hard
packed

and smooth enough for most trikes.
2) Once you get your PPL in a 172 (like I did), you will have to continue
your training in order to become tailwheel certified. If you do I would suggest

that you also inquire about "Unusual Attitude Recovery" training. After that
course you will never worry about a spin again.
3) Even after your tailwheel training, you will need to trained on the Europa
handling. Once in the air, it flies like a dream. But on the ground it can be
a handful to those that doe not understand it's needs.
4) If there will ever come a time that you sell your precious flying machine,
you might have more of a Customer base with the Trigear.

I hope this starts your thinking process.

Mike Duane A207
Redding, California
XS Trigear