Re: Europa-List: Static Charges and how to avoid them

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Static Charges and how to avoid them
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 10:04:17

 > Which suggests that the metal part of the breather tube should be
 > bonded to the metal surround of the filler cap and the refuelling
 > nozzle kept in contact with the latter whilst refuelling?
 >
 > Duncan McF.

There's no possibility a static inside the vent tubing. Fuel vapor flow
does not cause static.  Any fuel flowing in the vent line requires
bubbling or sufficient velocity for turbulent flow to cause any static
at all.  In any case, the tiny I.D. of the tube should should be
insufficient surface area to store enough spark energy for ignition.
Bonding the outside metal tube to the filler cap will do no harm but
accomplish nothing that I can see.

Regards,
Fred F.