Re: Europa-List: Static Charges and how to avoid them

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Static Charges and how to avoid them
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 22:46:55

 > Fred
 > My plan is to dissipate any static charge generated. We know it
 > does arise, G-BWDP caught fire. I am reliant on the memories of
 > two guys, one of whom got burnt on the arm, so their memory of
 > the sequence of events  might have been diluted by the trauma at
 > the time.

Graham, were both the above incidents while hoisting up fuel containers
to pour in fuel?  In that case, refiners say a metal can is more
hazardous than plastic (why they're hard to find in stores here).  If
you know of two such incidents, then maybe there is indeed an especial
hazard with fiberglass airplanes.  The following is quoted from a doc
(by NZ's CAAA) reprinted by FAA, discussing fueling from portable
containers:

"No amount of bonding and grounding will prevent discharges from
occurring inside a fuel tank [in context, this includes metal tanks
too].  Bonding, however, will ensure that the fueling equipment and the
receiving tank are at the same potential...."

"Place the container on ground.  Keep the nozzle in contact with the
container inlet during fuel transfer."

"A composite aircraft is more likely to develop and sustain a static
charge because of the low conductivity of the fiberglass structure."

IOW, a safe way is a metal can preferably on the ground, metal nozzle
and conductive hose, bonding wire from can to filler opening, stand
clear of A/C.  Pump it in with electric or hand pump, with flow rate in
the hose below the magic # of 12 ft/sec (30 gal/min in a 1" ID hose),
which should be no problem in an affordable pump!

Best,
Fred F.