Re: Europa-List: Static Charges and how to avoid them

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Static Charges and how to avoid them
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 13:20:28

 > Fred, The snag about the flow rate is that in a large caliber pipe
 > the fuel will accelerate at something like 1g and in a 3ft vertical
 > drop from standing  start this produces 13.6 ft per sec. I guess
 > the fuel pipe is not 3 ft long but the fuel doesn't have a standing
 > start either. Regards, David Joyce

That's a good point, but the initial drop is about a foot or less on the
older fill pipe, and in the tri-gear, the fuel will not see the vertical
part of the it.  Unless you just pour the stuff down the hole from
a can, more unsafe yet.  In any case where any nozzle is inserted down
the pipe, the velocity is limited by the nozzle itself plus other
factors, before free falling a few inches to hit a major slowdown in the
more lateral run of the pipe.

I understand the literature to suggest that static downstream of the
filler opening is substantially irrelevant.  If the nozzle is in contact
with the opening, there simply is no gap for a spark to occur.

Regards,
Fred F.