Re: Europa-List: Rotax 912ULS EGT

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax 912ULS EGT
From: RMRRick@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 16:26:47

Replying to Graham & Tony

I had a progressive loss of power over a period of about 20 flying hours.
---From 40 odd hours from new.  Initially I had fewer revs on the take off run
and leaner plugs particularly on the starboard bank.  Thinking that the
problem was leanness due to either lack of fuel or an air leak on the inlet
both were checked repeatedly and very carefully. The problem worsened with
the starboard EGT (taken from the mid point of the rearward downpipe)
flashing on the EIS from about 300 feet upwards and then a slight misfire.
Reducing throttle brought the temperature down.  I fitted a carb water heater
halfway through the problem thinking there might be icing (mid winter) There
also appeared to be an exhaust leak at the junction of the downpipe and the
silencer.  To cut a long story short Skydrive suggested I simply remove the
box and test run it unsilenced. Immediately the problem disappeared. Sounds
beautiful!  A replacement box solved all the problems.  Andy, the silencer
manufacturer and the PFA have been told.  The back pressure from a displaced
baffle was leaning the mixture. It was also blowing off the silencer from the
starboard downpipe.
It seems that I had an isolated bad silencer.

Regards Rick
G-RIKS