Re: Europa-List: Rotax 912ULS EGT

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax 912ULS EGT
From: Ami McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 21:02:50

Having got four  EGTs, I find that (as the rear cylinders run much cooler) I
could live with only two EGTs. But then I would probably be wondering what
the two rear cylinders were up to; so who knows.

The firing order of the 912 means that the rear cylinder follows the front
by a delay of 180 degrees only (as opposed to 360 deg. for evenly spaced
firing).

That means that the intake of both cylinders on one side are overlapped (the
valves are both open together for a short while in the cycle, one at the
beginning of the intake stroke and the other at the end) and I suspect that
one cylinder is  effectively "robbing"  the other. Roll-on injection and
four separate runners! (is that not what the alternate drilled and tapped
bosses around the cylinder head intakes were provided for?).

Duncan McF.