RE: Europa-List: Night and Day Rotax notes

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Night and Day Rotax notes
From: Tony S. Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 18:59:16

>>>Matters no none not, the "Reccomended" TBO is still a thousand hours
believe.

Nope... I know of 914's that have 1600+ hours on the clock and are still
going strong. There is no mandatory requirement to overhaul a non
certified engine.

>>>Perhaps it may be true that the magnito may need 1200rpm to begin
working, but perhaps there is some sorta other trigger? low speed
starting feedback like shower of sparks on Lycs.?

Nope again. The ignition coils need at least 300rpm+ before they'll
induce enough current to trigger the electronic ignition. The engine
uses a standard Ducati electronic ignition system with the trigger coils
on the aft rotor plate.

>> I am now curious if you can hand prop a 914?

If you can then you'll have the strongest arm I've ever seen. I don't
know of anyone who has or anyone who has even bothered.

I had a good talk with one of the Predator designers at the Avalon
airshow in Australia last week. He said that they were having problems
with 914 reliability until the rocker arm mod. Since then they've had
excellent reliability. They replace the turbo on the engine with a
double boost unit and fly the 914's above 30,000 feet. I suspect that
the Predator has been largely responsible for the recent burst of 914
service advisories and bulletins from Rotax ... and all to our benefit.

Tony