Re: Europa-List: Night and Day 3

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Night and Day 3
From: Ron Parigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:45:45

Hey DJA727

@@@@(what is redrive??? Is that a British term?)  I have seen vibration
> increases in the 2600 - 2700 range and at the 5,000 range. Initial
> observations of about 30 minutes of running with these new mounts show the
> same vibrational resonant frequencies, just a lower perceived noise and
> vibration level in the cockpit.

Redrive is short for Reduction Drive. When fooling with a Kasperwing
I-80 Motorglider in the early 80s it was common slang. It is stuck in my
head. i live on long Island NY.

Again i am too trying to get to the bottom of things.

First off i off the bat read a few years ago of someone using 0200
maunts on rotax and liking it. i liked idea. Bill dosent.

I think start up low speed shake out of sync is a terrable thing after
talking to Bill and katana maintainers.

I like smooth in flight buzz if i can, but at the detrement of killing
the Gearbox, well maby not.

My 1988 R-100GS mounts motor direct to frame without a problem, similar
tune to rotax. It is a bit buzzey at handlebars at high speeds, but the
combo lasts a long long time.

As far as in flight buzz:

Did you sync the carbs exact the low speed?

Did you sync the carbs exact high speed?

Did you have prop dynamic balanced?

You may have 1 or more of the above slightly out and the soft is
treating symptoms with possable detriment to the box?

I would like to hear if the above are spot on.

If you did not, i was wondering if you could do an experiment. Note how
much motor jumps around in its mount on start up and idle, then note
viabration in flight. Then make above adjustments and note if start up
and idle shake and in flight buzz is better/worst or the same.

With R-100GS that uses Bing constant velocity carbs, carb snot is a
problem. It has never manifested itself in the high speed of things, but
mostly the enriching circuit. Bill says Ratax are prone to the same. It
began with the bike as having a slight hard time when cold out, only run
on 1 cyl, then harder and harder to start. then i clean it out.

I always turn off gas and run out. I would have probably have done this
on europa (i do it on all motors if i can) but since usual 1 carb runs
out before other, this is a bad idea for gearbox.

Will probaly just use stabil if sitting for more than a week, or perhaps
incorporate a way of draining the bowls with minimal chance of
reliability or failure/error.

I actual had a drain on back of carb and accelerator pump on my C145
continental, that gave me twice the life on carb rebuilds, especial
accelerator pump going bad.

Note on bing carbs, it is a good idea to replace the float bowl gaskets
when you disassemble. Yes you can use them over if they do not rip, but
old gaskets that have are virgin ordisassembled tend to weap/seep a bit
and stain carb. new gaskets do not for a while. this is not a big issue,
but gaskets are cheap.

Ron Parigoris