RE: Europa-List: Night and Day Rotax notes

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Night and Day Rotax notes
From: Tony S. Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 10:01:13

>>> They just installed new blades, the old ones developed corrosion and
the
variable would not work properly.

Yes, that was their original AP308 which has an optical feedback system.
It wasn't a corrosion problem but one of dirt and oil getting onto the
optical detector for the feedback system. The AP332 which replaced the
AP308 a couple of years ago uses a magnetic feedback system and a
completely new control system which resolved that problem.

>>> I saw on Airmaster site the kinda sortta silicon inject prevention,
and
perhaps other info that this problem was adressed.

The silicon injection fix was brought about by a couple of instances
where an aircraft had been parked out in the rain and water had got into
the hub via the blades. Backfilling the blade retainer with silicon
fixed the problem quite easily and is now done as standard on all
shipped units.

Tony