Re: How Sacred Are the Sacred Six?

Subject: Re: How Sacred Are the Sacred Six?
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 23:22:03
Steve & Eileen Genotte wrote:

> But!, the flight instruments required for day VFR flight by FAR 91.205 are
> an airspeed indicator, an alitmeter, and a magnetic heading indicator.

>  Now to really make things interesting...

> I've decided to get the microEncoder and microMonitor from RMI.  Reading the
> specs on the microEncoder, I see it can display airspeed, altitude, and
> magnetic heading.  Huzzah!
>
> So, as I read it, I don't need anything beyond the microEncoder to satisfy
> the reqs with regards to flight instruments, and the microMonitor will cover
> all of the engine system parameters the Feds deem worthy of attention.

Strictly, you don't need any instruments - ya missed the word
"standard!"  91.205 applies only to aircraft with a standard
airworthiness cert, which does not include experimental.  However, AC
20-27E which certifies exp's sez FAA "may require" the instruments
required by 91.205.  You can bet they will, as you simply won't be
able to comply with certain Part 91 flight rules without the 3 you
listed.

They could theoretically balk at electronic-only flight instruments,
since they have to rule on "airworthiness" in general, and can pull
out any old document to define that; several I'm thinking of flunk the
uEncoder w/o approved backup.  FAA up to now might not have done that
often, but they are moving toward using all DAR's for sign-offs. These
guys will likely have legal liability that the gov't does not, and how
that colors their judgment has yet to be seen. Leave some room, so you
can add anything the DAR insists be there, like at least a mechanical
ASI?

Best,
Fred F.