Crowbar Mod.

Subject: Crowbar Mod.
From: William Mills <combined.merchants@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 08:01:53
All,

Many thanks for all the replies.

My engine is the 912 with permanent magnet alternator.  The original capacitor
(six years / 400+ hrs) that blew was a blue R.S. 22,000 uf, 25 volts and I have
replaced it with the same value R.S. supplied, although it is smaller in
physical
size and is now white.  The wiring to the capacitor has always been +ve
to +ve terminal. I wired in accordance with the club mod. diagram for permanent
magnet.  I had a 1hr 15min flight on the second slow blow fuse and the engine
voltmeter showed just under 14 volts for the whole flight.  When I removed the
second fuse, it had not blown during shut-down.  I now have a 5A circuit breaker
installed inside the cockpit, so it can easily be reset.

As suggested, I will rig up a temporary system to monitor the regulator and
possibly
the alternator voltage on a digital multi-meter.  I will do this with the
help of an observer, so that all stages of start-up, flight and shut-down can
be monitored.  When I have the results I will let you all know.

Once again, many thanks,

William