Re: U/C problem, for monowheel eyes only

Subject: Re: U/C problem, for monowheel eyes only
From: david joyce <davidjoyce@beeb.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 10:52:15
Kingsley, Thanks for your contribution. Certainly Redux in the joint would
add to its strength and seems well worth including. However my point was
that the joint was not loose, in fact it was as tight as it could be , but
still the forces produced by this exceptional turbulence exceeded its
limits. The mass of the complete gear is considerable, at a guess at least
20 lbs. The apparent weight on the lever when you are retracting the gear is
of course  much reduced by the multiple strands of shock cord, but in
turbulence or a suspended trailering situation, the total mass comes into
play,multiplied by the g factor and acting with a longish lever across the
roughly 90 degree joint between LG12 and 08P. What had happened was that
this joint had opened up to perhaps 93 degrees to the tolerance limits of
the drilled holes relative to the bolts. This left the brake lever some 1cm
short of its detent. At this point the U/C was down on its stop and the
mechanism overcentre, but the bolts had sufficient grip in their new
position to resist efforts to push the lever further, (and return the joint
to its 90 degree starting configuration). At a pinch I could no doubt have
landed holding the lever in position, but coping with braking or any
emergency might have stretched ingenuity!  Regards, David