Re: U/C problem, for monowheel eyes only

Subject: Re: U/C problem, for monowheel eyes only
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 01:07:17

>  On downwind to Kemble I found the U/C did not want to go that last bit
> down, with the lever stopping stubbonly 1cm from its detent. Thumping it
> , taking a run at it and foul language for the length of the leg were of
> no avail, so I left the circuit to gain a bit of height and give it some
> serious stick, (actually pushing the lever down with my left hand while
> thumping it hardest with my right), which I am pleased to say eventually
> did the trick.

This happened to me once, just before Mod 51 was developed. Afterwards,
when heart rate had dropped back to normal I jacked up the aircraft and
tried to figure out what the problem was. It took quite a bit of head
scratching, but eventually we found that due to brake pad wear the calliper
had moved outboard and if the gear bounced upwards past its normal resting
up position it rubbed on the side of the tunnel. The extra friction was
enough to stop the gear dropping under its own weight when unlocked from
the up position. There is ZERO down force from the gear retract lever with
the gear fully up. Hard to believe, I know but its TRUE. Look at the geometry.

Graham