Re: U/C problem, for monowheel eyes only

Subject: Re: U/C problem, for monowheel eyes only
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 09:37:52
> >  On downwind to Kemble I found the U/C did not want to go that last bit
> > down, with the lever stopping stubbonly 1cm from its detent. Thumping it
> > , taking a run at it and foul language for the length of the leg were of
> > no avail, so I left the circuit to gain a bit of height and give it some
> > serious stick, (actually pushing the lever down with my left hand while
> > thumping it hardest with my right), which I am pleased to say eventually
> > did the trick.>
> This happened to me once, just before Mod 51 was developed. Afterwards, >
when heart rate had dropped back to normal I jacked up the aircraft and >
tried to figure out what the problem was. It took quite a bit of head >
scratching, but eventually we found that due to brake pad wear the calliper
> had moved outboard and if the gear bounced upwards past its normal resting
> up position it rubbed on the side of the tunnel. The extra friction was >
enough to stop the gear dropping under its own weight when unlocked from >
the up position. There is ZERO down force from the gear retract lever with >
the gear fully up. Hard to believe, I know but its TRUE. Look at the
geometry.        > Graham

Cheers,
            I wondered about that and have incorporated the mod51 - u/c
lever brace. However, am sure that it's far more reliable in Retract than in
Extend because the .0625-like attachment may buckle under 150lb compression
than traction.
            Graham, I wonder if perhaps we might not devise a 'poker' to
push the wheel out of jammed-up condition and thus circumvent the geometric
restriction at Extend? mechanical - simple.
Ferg