Re: Access Door in fuselage

Subject: Re: Access Door in fuselage
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 08:22:30
Hi! Steve.
Yes, I made a small door. However my a/c is currently a trike. I originally
made the entire mono-wheel area removable with flanges round the whole area,
because I had plans for the a/c to be convertible! However I now use the
panel to carry a mechanism to regulate a hot air exit flap, which hasn't
been too successful(Jabiru not Rotax cowl). However I have the gascolator
mounted on the front of the central removable bulkhead and so needed an
access door underneath the gascolator. I cut an appropriately placed hole in
the existing panel and made a hinged door with closing flanges using the
said sprung latch supplied by Europa (Same as the oil dipstick door)
My access door isn't quite big enough but I can get my hand in and can
remove the bowl but really need to see in as well since the replace the two
locking pins to the bowl is not easy by feel but possible. You will need to
do your fuel check through this door but since you need to lay on your back
to do the other water drain checks it's no big problem.
BTW the door edge near the latch needs to be thin ! The latches are really
made for spam cans !
Pictures can be seen at the support site
http://www.crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk/europa.htm

Click on:- Bob Harrisons Europa G-PTAG
Select  :- Cooling Mods.
Select  :- Hot air exit flap.
Scroll to:- Forward View (You can just see the closed door.)
Select  :- Vent Flap Mechanism(You can see the door open hanging down on the
hinge with the

latch)
Regards
Bob Harrison  G-PTAG   Europa MKI /Jabiru 3300