Re: Carb Icing

Subject: Re: Carb Icing
From: McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 03:46:46
This has been debated on the Forum fairly recently, so the previous
postings may provide an answer (there was certainly a previous posting that
described a UK Classic that had airbox,  no carb. heat and was PFA
"approved").
Nigel Charles (?) also mentioned carb. temperatures he had measured.
I would argue that the close proximity of the rear cylinder exhaust header
pipes (on the Classic, not the XS) provide a considerable amount of
radiated heat to the body of the carb. This could be enhanced by a bit of
black paint!
However, if the above is true, then there might also be a tendency to
boiling the fuel in the float bowls, which doesn't seem to be something
that happens.

Yesterday was a nice day for flying (in the UK). Even (much later in the
day) for a first flight.

Duncan McF.