Carb Icing

Subject: Carb Icing
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 15:05:21
About two years ago I met a Danish Europa owner at the PFA rally who had
incorporated a NACA scoop in the top of the engine cowling to introduce cold
air to the carb area (ie: top cowling area). This was not the standard
Europa plenum chamber arrangement but a cable operated vent that could be
opened/ closed at will. There was (as far as we could ascertain) no ducting
under the cowlings or any direct airwat to the carb intakes.

I thought this was worth trying but the PFA are not too keen on the idea as
no one in the UK has tried it before. They are worried that introducing cold
air into the intake area could lead to carb icing which could not be cleared
by simply closing the duct. They believe it would be prudent to fit carb
heaters in order to clear any ice that might form.

I was a little surprised at their conclusions especially as I was under the
impression thet the standard Europa plenum box arrangement which takes cold
air from outside does not include the fitment of carb heaters. I would have
thought that if the factory approved mod dosent cause icing then the
arrangement which I was considering would be similarly ice free.

The only difference as far as I can see is that with the factory design
there is no choice between cold and warm air whereas with a cable operated
duct there is.

At the end of the day I am happy to go along with the PFA's requirement to
fit carb heaters but would be interested to hear if anyone else has tried a
similar arrangement.

If anyone else has adopted such an arrangement I would be interested to know
whether carb icing was a problem.

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS

PS: My permit to test arrived just in time for the gale force winds !!!!