oil pressure question...

Subject: oil pressure question...
From: Ian Mansfeld <ianmansfeld@lineone.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 19:48:54
I could use some advice here, for a 912 engine in a mono.

 I recently changed the oil pressure gauge to cure a rapidly fluctuating
indication
(far quicker than the oil pressure could feasibly change). I now have a nice
stable reading, excwpt that every so often the needle goes off-scale at the
high end, then slowly returns to normal. There does not yet seem to be any set
of flight conditions or power settings linked to this, other than I have only
ever seen it after 40 to 50 minutes of flight. This is the only instrument
that shows a bad reading. My suspicions are with the wiring, and I would like
to confirm this by using a DVM around the system.

Can anyone either tell me, or point me to the relevant source text, on how the
sensor and gauge operate? E.g. does the gauge measure the resistance of the
sensor,
and how does this vary (e.g. voltage/resistance vs pressure)?

Thanks in advance,

Ian.