Re: VWarning: forum messages containing a virus

Subject: Re: VWarning: forum messages containing a virus
From: Tony S. Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 08:28:36

So that the anti virus messages can stop...

The virus is called bugbear. Once it's on a machine it selects a name
---From the address book or selects a name then selects a provider name
---From the address book and puts the two together as the senders name
(hence the fictitious ANDY@kaon.co.nz source address below).

It then goes through the files on the machine and selects an executable
file type, and inserts itself into the file.

Next it goes through the address book and sends itself to everyone in
the list.

It has people all round the world calling each other names. The sender
shown almost inevitably does not have the virus (and more than likely
does not even exist).

All of the anti virus sites have fixes and updates to catch it.

Tony