Re: 912S coolant leak

Subject: Re: 912S coolant leak
From: Barrington Tennant <Tennant@tonline.de>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 08:47:09
Hi David,

This is the great thing about the forum  - there is usually someone that
has been there & done that!!

The leak is most probably from the Ceramic / Plastic seal behind the
water pump. You will find a small hole forward of the pump that is a
drain for fluids seeping past the water pump or crankshaft oil seal.

The official line from Rotax is to remove the engine and dissasemble the
rear housings to press out the seal from the inside.

However if you remove the pump housing and impeller, use a couple of
screwdrivers and a bent scribe you can destroy the old seal and remove
it in situe. I cut a piece of tube (I dont remember how long or what
diameter) and used it and the impeller to press in the new seal
squarely.

Rotax has changed the seal to a Ceramic / Ceramic seal recently because
of this problem.

If you need any more details plese contact me directly.

Barry Tennant

Barry Tennant