Re: 912 carb icing?

Subject: Re: 912 carb icing?
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:24:14
Hi Ian,

We installed the Skydrive carb heat kit in our XS with 912S. We initially left
it on all the time, assuming there would be no loss of performance. After having
some problems with hot starts, we decided to install the provided valve and
temp
gauge. We found that, with carb heat off, we occassionally saw carb temps around
0 degC, and that on several of those occassions, had the engine run rough with
some loss of RPMs. Turning on the carb heat cleared the problem in seconds.
We
also tested climb rate with and without carb heat on, with no measurable
difference
between the two tests. On hot days, we found it helpful to turn the carb
heat off after landing, if we expected to do a hot start later on.
We were a little surprised at how often we saw carb temps hovering around 0
degC,
even on rather moderate days with OAT in the 15-20 degC range.
The Skydrive kit is well done, I would recommend it for all 912 and 912S engines
with the cold air plenum.

regards,
Terry Seaver
N135TD

Ian Mansfeld wrote:

> Does anyone know if making the plenum mod to take 'cold' air into a 912
> classic
mono with a 912 will increase the chances of carb icing? In other words, do
I need to consider the carb heating mod as well when incorporating the plenum
mod?